The Fiber Optics Master Plan developed by Magellan’s team provides a detailed roadmap for future fiber optics expansion routes, building on the partnership with Lit San Leandro to continue expanding broadband service. It also provides a strategy for deploying Smart City solutions that can enhance the City’s services and improve the quality of life for its residents, focusing on the areas of public safety, digital inclusion, transportation, and digital services. Initiatives in these areas align with San Leandro’s existing infrastructure strengths, current and future needs, as well as address challenges facing the City and region in the future, including:
• Digital Transformation, the process of creating a digital City government experience, often called “e-Government,” which includes digital services and open data;
• Smart Buildings & Facilities, connecting facilities and using integrated management systems for climate control, HVAC, and energy management;
• Smart Streetlights, Small Cells, and preparing for the deployment of 5G;
• Intelligent Traffic Signal Systems adaptive to real-time traffic conditions for reducing congestion;
• Public Safety,using intelligence and data to help improve quality of life;
• Digital Inclusion, connecting the underserved and unconnected and helping community members engage in the digital economy;
• Public Wi-Fi and infrastructure to drive economic development and bridge the digital divide.
The Plan also includes policy recommendations that will help drive broadband and innovation, including the implementation of broadband friendly policies and wireless policies to govern the roll out of enhanced wireless services. San Leandro’s commitment to its broadband future has already had far reaching impacts on area schools, non-profits and municipal services. The Fiber Optic and Smart City Master Plan is designed to enable the City to take this commitment further, leading the way for enhanced services that will benefit San Leandro for years to come.